Aldeburgh Cinema has been screening films continuously since 1919, when the auditorium was built onto the back of a 19th century High Street store. The cinema has a glorious atmosphere; the auditorium retains a number of original features, including a number of beautiful art deco lights.
For many years the cinema was privately run until in the mid-1960s there was the threat of closure; a group of locals, including composer Benjamin Britten and his partner Peter Pears, banded together to purchase the cinema and run it on behalf of the local community.
The cinema has since been effectively a community enterprise. The Aldeburgh Cinema Club also formed in these years, and has since been essential in keeping the cinema a welcoming venue closely in touch with its users.
The cinema's film and special events programme consists of the very best of world cinema at the heart of the community.